•  

Elon Musk lambasted by sci-fi movie director for strikingly similar Tesla robotic designs

Garth Gator

I-Robot-Director-Tesla-We-Robot-Elon-Musk-Cybercab-Robovan-Optimus-AI-1.jpg

Alex Proyas, the director behind the 2004 sci-fi film I, Robot, has accused Tesla CEO Elon Musk of borrowing a little too heavily from his cinematic designs for the company’s latest line of robots. At a Tesla event last week, appropriately titled “We, Robot,” Musk unveiled three new creations: the Optimus humanoid robot, the Cybercab, and the Robovan. Proyas claims these look suspiciously familiar, and he’s not shy about calling it out.

The 20-year-old movie, set in a near future where robots serve humanity under strict laws, tells the story of Detective Del Spooner, played by Will Smith, as he investigates a conspiracy involving a seemingly rogue robot. The film’s iconic aesthetics, from its sleek, minimalist vehicles to humanoid robots, have sparked some deja vu with the introduction of Musk’s latest robotic creations.

Taking to Musk’s own social media platform, X (formerly Twitter), Proyas quipped, “Hey Elon, Can I have my designs back please?”

For some, the similarities between Tesla’s new offerings and the tech in I, Robot might be hard to ignore. The Cybercab, for instance, sports a futuristic design sans steering wheel or pedals, echoing the autonomous vehicles featured in the sci-fi film.

Similarly, the Robovan—designed to transport up to 20 people with a smooth, Art Deco-inspired exterior—mirrors the futuristic aesthetics I, Robot brought to the big screen.

Even the Optimus humanoid robots, showcased serving drinks at the Tesla event, have drawn comparisons to the robotic servants in I, Robot.

Backing Proyas up is Matt Granger, a former assistant on I, Robot, who didn’t mince words when addressing Musk on social media. Though his post has since disappeared, Granger fired off a harsh critique of Musk’s perceived lack of creativity, delivering what he called a “full-fingered ‘f--k you,’” as quoted by the Hollywood Reporter.

Opening image: Tesla and Elon Musk

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

The Creative Network

DesignTAXI

The Creative Finder

The Bazaar

Trendingger (BETA)

Status Is Down (BETA)

Community Resources

Become a member

• Pro/Business Accounts

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Terms of Use

DMCA Copyright Notice