•  

Cookie Monster admits Cookie Monster is not his real “birth” name

Cookie-Monster-Real-Name-1.jpeg

While most of us know and love him as Cookie Monster, it appears our crumb-loving friend may have gone by a different moniker in his pre-cookie days. The blue Sesame Street resident has made this fact known several times over the years. In fact, his journey began not with cookies, but with cheese crackers!

Back in the mid-1960s, the Muppet who would eventually become Cookie Monster was first developed by Jim Henson for a snack commercial. Unofficially nicknamed “Arnold the Munching Monster” due to his penchant for stealing wheel-shaped snacks, this character went through various iterations before landing on Sesame Street in 1969.

In 2004, Cookie Monster himself hinted at a past life with a different name at “birth,” singing that he only went by “Cookie” after he started devouring cookies. 

Me was just a mild mannered little kid. In fact me think me name back then was Sid.

But then, me mommy gave me something very new. She told me, “This is cookie and me baked it just for you!”

So me took a bite and me felt kinda strange. Delicious taste sensation, me knew me life just changed.

In 2010, Sesame Street’s Twitter account echoed this claim, sharing a quote from Cookie Monster suggesting that “Sidney” was his best recollection of his name before his dessert obsession took over.

In a 2017 video produced for Wired, Cookie Monster also stated that his "real name" was Sid Monster in response to a Google search question.

Despite these revelations, Cookie Monster’s friends on Sesame Street have rarely called him “Sid,” and the character himself has expressed a preference for being called “Cookie Monster.” 

In a tweet from 2022, he said, “Did you know me name is Sid? But me still like to be called Cookie Monster.”

Image: Gididreamstime | Dreamstime.com