•  

BMWLogo.jpg

German automaker BMW has issued a substantial recall affecting over 720,000 vehicles in North America. The recall centers around a potential fire hazard linked to a faulty component within the vehicle's critical engine cooling system: the water pump.

What's the Problem?

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the issue lies with the water pump's electrical connector. An improper seal on this connector could allow coolant or other liquids to infiltrate the connection, causing a short circuit and, in rare instances, a fire. The water pump is essential for regulating engine temperature, making this issue particularly concerning. A malfunctioning water pump could lead to overheating, potentially leading to severe engine damage.

Which BMW Models Are Affected?

The recall covers a wide range of BMW vehicles manufactured between 2012 and 2018. Here's a list of some prominent models included, but it's not exhaustive:

• BMW X1 sDrive28i / xDrive28i (2012-2015)
  • BMW Z4 sDrive28i (2012-2016)
  • BMW 528i / 528i xDrive (2012-2016)
  • BMW 328i / 328xi (2012-2016)
  • BMW X5 xDrive 40e (2016-2018)
  • BMW 228i / 228xi (2014-2016)
  • BMW 428i / 428i xDrive (2014-2016)
  • BMW 328xi Gran Turismo (2014-2016)
  • BMW X3 sDrive28i / xDrive28i (2013-2017)
  • BMW X4 xDrive28i (2013-2017)
  • BMW 428xi (2015-2016)

What Should You Do?

If you own a BMW within the specified year range, it's crucial to check your vehicle's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) to see if it falls under the recall on the NHTSA website or contacting your local BMW dealership.

While BMW will be notifying owners via mail starting October 4th, there's no need to panic in the meantime. However, if you're concerned, you can proactively contact your BMW dealer to schedule an inspection.

The Fix and What it Means for BMW Owners

The good news is that the repairs for this recall will be done free of charge for all affected vehicles. The fix involves replacing the faulty water pump connector and installing a protective shield to prevent future water ingress.

This latest recall is part of a growing trend of safety concerns affecting BMW vehicles. Recent recalls for over 290,000 X3 SUVs due to potential cargo rail detachment and more than 100,000 vehicles due to starter motor issues have raised questions about the automaker's quality control. Despite these issues, BMW is committed to addressing these problems and ensuring the safety of its customers.

Stay Informed and Stay Safe!

It's always wise to stay updated on any recalls affecting your car. You can visit the NHTSA website or your car manufacturer's website for the latest information. Adhering to these guidelines will give you peace of mind while driving. Here are some additional resources for BMW owners:

• BMW customer service: 1-800-525-7417
  • BMW recall number: 24V-608
  • NHTSA safety hotline: 1-888-327-4236 (toll-free at 1-800-424-9153)

Image: Cafebeanz Company | Dreamstime.com

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

The Creative Network

DesignTAXI

The Creative Finder

The Bazaar

Trendingger (BETA)

Community Resources

Become a member

• Pro/Business Accounts

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Terms of Use

DMCA Copyright Notice

Privacy Policy